Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Moving On

This last Sunday we said a sad good-bye to a very long chapter in our life; the BYU 82nd LDS Married Student Ward. We figured when you have been in what is supposed to be a transitional ward for 5 years (off and on), you have lasted through 3 bishops, the Stake-Presidency knows you by your first names (and feel comfortable calling you for emergency fill-in talks for Stake Conference), and most of the other members of the ward were in Elementary School when you graduated from High School (and you actually knew their older siblings who also used to be in your ward and have since moved on), then it was time for us to move to a family ward. In all actuality, the only real reason we have switched is because our oldest, Meili, was old enough to be in Primary (a special Sunday School for children ages 3-11) and our student ward doesn't have one because there aren't any other children old enough. It was tough for Scott and I, but when Meili happily skipped between her classes and eagerly introduced us to her teachers and her new friends (kids her age!!!), it was all worth it. We are actually excited, but neither Scott nor I have been members of anything but Student Wards for over 10 years. It's just different, and we will miss all of our friends we have made in the student ward.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I am going to cry! We will sure miss you all, but we are still just down the street!

Victoria Blanchard said...

There was definitely a void in Church on Sunday. Your family has achieved a presence in the Ward that I don't think will be easily replaced. I'm so happy for Meili though, and I hope the new change is just as positive for the rest of you.

Jill Rogers said...

Well we'll definitely have to do occasional get together's. You guys are such a great part of the ward! We're going to miss you! I always loved Scott's comments in Sunday school (when I actually got to go because it wasn't RSV season). But it's TOTALLY understandable with your little ones. They need to socialize with kids their age too.

Good luck!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

I remember moving out of the 82nd ward and into the family ward in NY and being totally overwhelmed...everything was so noisy and big, and even after four years there we still didn't know everybody like we did in Utah. But it's good for Meili and Sophie...I'm glad Meilie enjoyed Sunbeams. Beckham really didn't approve of the experience very much...

Austin and Kelli said...

Well congrats to you guys, I bet that was a hard decision! I hope with you living so close to BYU that there are alot of other young couples with young families for you guys to make friends with! That will be fun!

Mat, Chenae & Jackson said...

Guys, I do have to say that I'm impressed that you held out for so long. And...I can't believe that Meili is going to primary...what the...? I heard you met Mat's sister!