Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cultural Difference for the day

Today I had a leadership meeting for my church's woman's organization, Relief Society, and I noticed that one of the woman's son who is about 22 months old didn't seem to have a diaper on. Our meeting was in a normal Chinese house, a tou tien, and these houses are usually 3-5 stories tall town home type homes (all connected) and are about 2-3 rooms large on each floor. The bottom floor is used for various things. It is either a garage, a business, or a living room-to the discretion of the owner. Well, we had our meeting on the bottom floor of one of the girl's in-law's tou tiens. And I'm not sure why, but soon after she arrived, the woman who brought her near two year-old took him just out the front door to pee. It's not too unusual to see kids peeing outside wherever is convenient, but I'm just not sure why she didn't use the toilet...
Well, about 45 minutes, and a lot of juice later, the kid was suddenly sitting in a puddle of pee. While the other women helped her clean up the mess, I have to admit that I just stared in a little bit of shock (and horror) and tried to keep Euan as well as the other children out of the mess.
So, he seems a little bit young to me to be getting potty trained. I've seen other pre-two year-olds wandering around without diapers, too. Wow. That is some patient parenting. Now, maybe the average age of American children getting potty trained is a little late, but that is brave to just do a no diaper potty boot camp by two years old. But I guess it works in a country with no carpet.

1 comment:

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

I would say that maybe they are trying to save money by not buying diapers, but after seeing all of the costumes for Meili's graduation, and calculating how much money that must have cost, I'm not so sure. I do envy the little boy who peed outside the door though- you don't know how many times I've been in a bind and wished I could just let my child relieve himself. :)