Monday, March 23, 2009

Crazy week!

Last week was a crazy week for us. I guess it will always be a little crazy when you are trying to adjust to a new culture. Here are some highlights:

On Tuesday (17th), Meili started Chinese school. And, yes, it is all in Chinese! Here is a cute picture of her in her school uniform and her sister who wishes she could go, too. That was really hard for me to send her because I knew it would be really difficult for her. But we know that it will be best in the long run. The girls will enjoy it here so much more if they can get to know the language and culture. Her progress last week was exponential. We were amazed at how fast she was getting things, though we know how fast kids can learn another language because we have both been English immersion teachers. Today, though, Meili started crying pretty hard and I felt so bad. I know it is so difficult to be patient during this time when we don't understand a lot. She fell asleep yesterday during her church primary class for children because she was so board. Poor girl! But here is a cute picture with her Chinese school teacher (Xiao Min Laoshi).

I had a moment yesterday of frustration as well. I was asked (called) to teach the church sunbeam (3-4 year-old) class and I was really overwhelmed my first day because I don't understand the poor kids who are trying to talk to me. Plus next Sunday I have to do it all alone! Wow! I don't think I've ever had to exercise so much faith in a church calling before! Who knew that being called to a sunbeam teacher would be perhaps my most difficult calling! Though it will help me learn my Chinese and be motivated to study even more!

On Saturday we went to a church activity where they built traditional clay oven things out of their dirt/clay (look in the background of the above picture) and we were so excited because we had done this last time we were here with a family of one of the kids we taught and we loved it and the food it produced. It was fun to hang out with our ward and get to know them better.

Here's a great picture of the girls after a fun day of digging in the dirt
Oh, and for those who saw my videos I posted on facebook about driving a scooter in Taiwan and my serious phobia I have of doing it, I will have you know I drove one to church with Meili and Scott drove Euan and Sophie. It only took us 45 minutes! Luckily I felt more comfortable with the chaos and it only took us 35 minutes on the way home.

Here is something that is a good ending to this posting, FOOD! When we lived in Taiwan last time, I fell in love with the food and learned how to cook a lot of it in the states (thanks to friends, Chinese teachers, neighbors, and our local Chinese store, Chao's!). So this time I am pretty set and so far my family is well-fed. Our kids are eating more here than in the U.S., and Scott of course loves the food, but has actually lost about 15 pounds (that would be the absence of dairy, margarine, mayonnaise, soda, etc.). I'm not quite so lucky, but thanks to the track that is across the street and the yoga class I just signed up for, I hope to copy his results!

8 comments:

Sharlee said...

I will never think my calling is hard again! Good luck with the Chinese...

Victoria Blanchard said...

Wow . . . good luck with your sunbeams! That would be overwhelming! It's so weird to think about Meili speaking Chinese, and I'm sure it will be hard at first, but what a great opportunity for her.

Shannon Allen said...

Sidra! Oh my goodness you are amazing! I just caught up on your little family and what an adventure you have had the last couple months! You are so brave but what a great experience this will be. Good luck with the Sunbeams. You will be wonderful. My brother is serving in the city of Kaohsiung right now so keep an eye out for Elder Richter!

Victoria Blanchard said...

Thanks for adding the pics---it's so fun to see the girls! They look so cute with pigtails!

Sheri said...

Sidra,
I just checked your blog and had NO idea what an adventure you guys are having! How long do you plan to be in Taiwan? What a great experience for your family. You will all really have to rely on each other and it will definitely bring you together!!! I just think the whole thing is awesome. Isn't it amazing what can happen in a few months time?
Love to you and your whole family,
Sheri

Marisa said...

Oh my! When I saw your Taiwan pictures, I thought you guys are just visiting Taiwan. But, then I read more of your earlier posts... You guys moved to Taiwan?!! Wow! It sounds like it was pretty crazy! But, wonderful that you had so much help. I hope all goes well for you. I'm excited to be able to keep up on your family's adventures in Taiwan!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

so how did scott carry euan on the scooter? i think that would scare me the most. i totally remember the video (you had it on here once, didn't you? or maybe i saw it on facebook...thought it was a great video, though).

Sidra said...

We have Euan in a front carrier for now. We aren't sure what the next step will be when he gets a little bigger; the Taiwanese have these little mini chairs that they put down between the legs of the scooter and they put their kids in that. Or one of the other teachers here said she also saw someone put their child in a stroller, partly folded it up and stuck THAT between their legs. Hmmm...not sure how that worked.