Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Rest

I've rediscovered a truth about how the Sabbath is a day of rest. "Rest" when referring to the Sabbath isn't the same as what "rest" usually connotes. Growing up, I thought that the day of rest meant sleeping in, lazily enjoying church, gorging out on a large Sunday dinner and settling down for a long, long, long nap. Now, again, I see that instead it is a day to rest from everyday cares and to refocus our spiritual efforts for the coming week.
I sometimes lose this focus because I feel so busy on Sundays. I sometimes get home at night and wonder where my coveted day of rest has gone. The more I have grown to love the gospel and the LDS Church, the more responsibilities I have had and the busier my Sunday's have become. Add a husband who also has great faith and 3 children, and tonight (Sunday night) I am finally "resting" by the world's definition around 9:00 pm at night (and my husband is not yet home from meetings). How, after another Sunday which was even busier than normal, can I feel rested? Here's the story:
Last night (Saturday) I was tempted to stay home from our area's Stake Conference adult meeting because it was past Euan's bedtime, Meili was sick, and Scott had an earlier Priesthood meeting which only gave us time to kiss across the threshold (since he would stay home with Mei and Euan). But just as I was considering it, Sophie started crying to me that she wanted to go so she could feel the Holy Ghost and to make Heavenly Father happy. How could I stay home after that? So she and I hopped on our scooter and zoomed through the crazy Saturday night scooter traffic (think of the game "frogger" but with fearless teenagers on scooters) and headed 45 minutes to our church house. Then I struggled through 2 hours of a meeting that I didn't understand more than a few words of, hoping that at least I would be blessed for my efforts of being a good example to my daughter, and headed back to get home just before 10 pm!
So, imagine my feelings this morning after my husband has another 2 hour meeting 20 minutes away and gets home just in time to go with us to our Stake Conference (we have three kids and two scooters as transportation and have made it a rule to never ride with more than 2 kids on a scooter. Inconvenient at times-the Taiwanese often do it-but we have to draw the line somewhere). I was overwhelmed and exhausted. But I went, praying for a better attitude.
And tonight I feel more peaceful than I have all week because I was able to listen (surprise! in my own language!) to the Lord's message by broadcast for the Asian people from President Uchtdorf and Elder Oaks, as well as our Area Authority and Sister Dalton from the General Young Women's Presidency. I felt the spirit and felt more united with these people that I was feeling so alienated from; a cure to my recent ailment of loneliness. Now, if I had decided to skip today's area Stake Conference and instead decided to "rest" at home today, I would have felt no better, no more spiritually rested, which is what I really needed (and it carried me through one more meeting for me and 2 more for Scott!). And so now that I am spiritually rested, and our meetings are over, I can finally physically rest, too.

3 comments:

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

I am really starting to love Sundays- especially the ones where we really make it a special day where we focus on Christ.
I NEED to see a picture of all of you guys on your scooters (children included of course)! I'm so impressed with you guys and how dedicated you are! Keep up the good work!

kelley said...

Hi Angela! We really miss you all. It's so great to read about what you are doing. Wish we could see you soon.
Love you,
Kelley

Trina said...

Wow. What do you do with your kids while riding a scooter and for 45 minutes? Scott was out of town this weekend and we also had Stake conference. A nice change took place for this Stake Conference. The decided to do the adult session in Ithaca, instead of at the Stake Center an hour away. AND they provided babysitting. I could not pass up going to that, and it started at 4 in the afternoon, instead of in the evening. I too was not planning to drive the hour there and back to Stake Conference that was held at the Stake center, to spend 2 hours out in the hall with kids, by myself. Alas, our friends car was in the shop and they needed a ride. Since we recently sold our little 2 door car and replace it with a mini-van (yeah, I'm 23 and drive a mini-van, I'm THAT cool). Scott was gone, so I had room for them and their two kids. It was nice to have adult conversation there and back and to have a distant relative stay in and play with Evelyn when I had to take Allison out in the hall for the remaining 1 1/2 of conference. The things we do for our kids!
I love that Sophie started crying about not going and wanting to make Heavenly Father happy. So cute and sweet.